Can we talk about Hulu’s Future Man for a second?
Future Man stars Josh Hutcherson (The Hunger Games) as “Josh Futturman,” a janitor by day/gamer by night who is recruited by mysterious visitors to travel through time in order to prevent the extinction of humanity.
I thoroughly enjoyed this show, which also stars Eliza Coupe and Derek Wilson, way more than I anticipated. This show is so good. If you like time travel and you like to laugh, you should watch this show. It’s so ridiculous and fun and great. Did I mention fun? I love the tone and overall, I really love what Hulu is doing with the tone of their sci-fi shows…they’re each so distinct and grounded from the jump and that’s not easy to do. If you haven’t seen Future Man (or, if I may add, Hulu’s Dimension 404) you need to right away. Keep in mind that Future Man is rated MA. I still have yet to check out Marvel’s Runaways on Hulu but I can’t wait to very soon. Season 2 of the Australian drama, Glitch finally premiered on Netflix a few days ago, so I am itching to get to that! Been waiting for season 2 since the finale of season 1 so this is going to be a binge for sure. Speaking of finales, this month saw the series finale of The Mindy Project. Which makes me so sad to think about but what a great run. I loved this show so much so it’s sad to see it go.
As for movies, I only went to the movies once, to see Justice League but I really, really still want to see Ladybird especially given all of the buzz. If you’ve seen it, what did you think?
When it comes to books, I bought the one book that I absolutely had to have this month: The Mother of Black Hollywood: A Memoir by Jenifer Lewis. I’m waiting for my next day off that I can just sit down and read it in one sitting. What was the November release you were highly anticipating and got your hands on to read?
E-book/Book/ARC (Advanced Review Copy)/Audiobook Haul
* The Mother of Black Hollywood: A Memoir by Jenifer Lewis
* The Witch Boy by Molly Ostertag
* Justice League in 3D and 4DX
* I have a really exciting development in my writing career that I’ll talk more about next month so stay tuned!!!! In the meantime…
* When it comes to checking out more vegan places in LA, I crossed a handful of places off my list this month. I was able to check out by Chloe which has really great chocolate chip cookies, oh my goodness. I’m going to write a post in the neat future just rating all of the vegan chocolate chip cookies in town because ermahgerd. That said, I can’t say that I was impressed with their classic cheeseburger. The patty was dry and I wasn’t a fan of the bread. I did like the pop of color that the beet sauce or whatever it was on the burger provided and it tasted fine. But I can’t say I’d order the cheeseburger again. The mac and cheese was good though and I’d get that again (without the mushroom garnish on top). I’ll definitely be back to try out other items on the menu.
I also went to Sage Vegan Bistro in Echo Park which was AMAZING. I had the classic street tacos and cleared my plate. Literally, the only thing left on my plate were the two limes. I also had a pretzel as my dessert but I wasn’t impressed with the pretzel. That said, if I could, I’d literally go to Sage every week until I tried everything on the menu and then after that, I’d just continue to go to eat my faves. Since I took myself out to eat to celebrate an achievement, I accompanied the tacos with a basil & mint mojito because that’s how I do!
That’s not all! I went back to Smorgasburg to check out Cena Vegan and Donut Friend. The tofu scramble breakfast burrito from Cena Vegan was alright but I wasn’t super impressed and I can’t say that I’d go out of my way to try this place again but if I happened upon it, I would consider it. Of the four different donuts that I tried at Donut Friend, which is completely vegan, I liked the limited editions: Hüsker Blü (blueberry) and Youth Brûlée (crème brûlée). I’ll definitely go back to try out most of their other donuts, that’s for sure.
Finally on the food front, I stopped by Two Boots Pizza yesterday, which has one menu for the masses and another menu for vegans. I tried their “V for Vegan” pizza and it was great! I would totally order that again and can’t wait to try out their other vegan pizzas.
Books I Read
If you’d like to keep track of my reading progress as it happens and reviews as they are posted, feel free to follow me on Goodreads!
Audiobooks That I Listened To (Own/Library):
1. The Platinum Age of Television: From I Love Lucy to the Walking Dead, How TV Became Terrific by David Bianculli
2. When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
3. Endurance: A Year in Space, A Lifetime of Discovery by Scott Kelly
4. The Last Girl: My Story of Captivity, and My Fight Against the Islamic State by Nadia Murad
5. Whichwood by Tahereh Mafi
6. Turtles All the Way Down by John Green
My favorite read this month:
Endurance: A Year in Space, A Lifetime of Discovery by Scott Kelly
Movies I Watched in November 2017
Justice League (Movie Theaters)
Thor: Ragnarok (Movie Theaters)
Until the end of this month, happy reading and viewing!