I’ve adjusted Jamie’s End of the Year Book Survey to TV and Film since I also blog about those and want to cover all of my bases. Check out my TV Survey here, my Movie Survey below, and my Book Survey is coming soon!
Number of Movies/Documentaries I Watched in 2015: 80, If I Counted Correctly (Not Including TV Movies/Documentaries)
1. Best Movie I Watched In 2015?
Drama: The easy answer would be The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2…
Comedy: Dear White People
Documentary: That Guy… Who Was in That Thing, Life Itself, Showrunners, Going Clear: Scientology, The Drop Box
2. Movie I Was Excited About & Thought I Was Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Mad Max: Fury Road which pains me to say since I know everyone loves it! Also, Avengers: Age of Ultron.
3. Most Surprising (in a good way) Movie I Watched in 2015?
Comedy: It’s a Disaster
4. Movie I “Pushed” The Most People To Watch (And They Did) In 2015?
Drama: The Theory of Everything
Documentary: The Drop Box
5. Best Movie Ending of a Movie I Watched in 2015? Best Sequel of 2015?
Drama: Interstellar, Still Alice / The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2
Animation: Big Hero 6
Documentary: Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead 2
6. Most Action Packed/Thrilling Movies of the Year?
Project Almanac, Time Lapse, Parallels, Into the Storm, San Andreas, The Maze Runner
7. Movie I Watched in 2015 That I Am Most Likely To Re-Watch in 2016?
San Andreas, Jurassic World, Dope
8. Favorite Poster for a Movie I Watched in 2015?
9. Most Memorable Characters of 2015?
Ethan (Mark Duplass) and Sophie (Elisabeth Moss) – The One I Love
10. Standout Writing / Directing in 2015?
Writing: The Theory of Everything, Boyhood, Silver Linings Playbook, The Age of Adaline, You’re Not You
Directing: Birdman, Big Eyes, Silver Linings Playbook, Dope, Still Alice
11. Most Thought-Provoking/Impactful Movies I Watched in 2015?
Drama: Selma, Cake, After the Dark
Comedy: Welcome to Me
Documentary: The Drop Box
12. Movie I Can’t Believe I Waited Until 2015 To Finally Watch?
It Could Happen to You, The Past
13. Favorite Scene From a Movie I Watched in 2015?
The ending of Big Eyes.
14. Movie That Shocked Me The Most? (Because of a plot twist, character death, etc.)
The One I Love, Interstellar, Parallels
15. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year?
Kate (Hilary Swank) and (Emmy Rossum) Bec – You’re Not You
16. Best Movie I Watched In 2015 That I Watched Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody?
Big Hero 6
17. Most Exciting Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting?
Parallels, After the Dark, The One I Love
18. Movies That Put A Smile On My Face/Were The Most Fun To Watch?
Various Genres: Dope, Silver Linings Playbook, Dear White People, San Andreas, After the Dark, Sisters, This is Where I Leave You, Welcome to Me, It’s a Disaster
Documentaries: Twinstsers, Batkid Begins, Maidentrip, Showrunners, Life Itself
19. Movie That Made Me Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2015?
Big Hero 6, The Theory of Everything, The Drop Box
20. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
21. Movie That Crushed My Soul?
22. Most Unique Movie I Watched In 2015?
The One I Love
Notable Mentions: The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby, Magic in the Moonlight, To Write Love On Her Arms
23. Movies That Made Me the Most Angry (Doesn’t Necessarily Mean That I Didn’t Like It)?
The Past, Whiplash, Big Eyes, Unbroken
24. Notable Mentions of the Year?
White Bird in a Blizzard, Home, The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Comet, The Skeleton Twins, 20 Feet From Stardom, Casting By
1. Favorite Movie Site/Blog I Discovered/Read in 2015?
The Projection List was short lived and amazing.
2. Favorite Movie Review That I Wrote in 2015?
3. Favorite Movie Related Post I Wrote in 2015?
List of Black Screenwriters on Twitter
4. Favorite Movie Related Event That I Participated In (signings, festivals, virtual events, etc.) This Year?
Nothing exciting this year however it is Thursday, so in honor of Throwback Thursday, here’s a retrospective that includes many of my favorite past moments!
5. Best Movie Discovery (Movie related sites, stores, etc.)?
SundanceNow Doc Club
1. Ten Movies I Didn’t Get To In 2015 But I Will Attempt To Make a Priority in 2016?
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, Tangerine, Inside Out, Pitch Perfect 2, Theatreland, Room, The Martian, Trainwreck, Brooklyn, The Last Five Years
2. Five Movies I Am Most Anticipating in 2016?
The Fifth Wave, Peregine’s Home for Peculiars, The Girl on the Train, A Monster Calls, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
3. Sequel or Series Ending That I Am Most Anticipating in 2016?
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Now You See Me 2, Star Trek Beyond
What are your movie standouts of the year?